Office of
the Registrar


Grades are awarded according to the following scale.

The above grades may be qualified by the use of a plus(+) or a minus(-). For the permanent record, a grade point average (GPA) is compiled and the GPA appears on the transcript. The following equivalents should be used for calculating the GPA:

A 4.00 C 2.00
A- 3.67 C- 1.67
B+ 3.33 D+ 1.33
B 3.00 D 1.00
B- 2.67 D- 0.67
C+ 2.33 F 0.00

Performance in a few courses is graded S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory), but in the majority of courses, the grades listed above are given. Only grades of A(-), B(+,-), C(+,-), D(+,-), and S are given credit toward a degree.

In addition to the regular grade designations, the following irregular grades are used as occasion may demand:

AU (audit). Students who register for audit classes will get this grade.

I (incomplete). At the discretion of the faculty member involved, a grade of incomplete may be submitted. This option is to be used sparingly, however, and only when the student has given a satisfactory explanation (such as extended illness or accident) for failure to complete a required piece of work. Otherwise, a student receives an F for a course which is not completed. Simple preference on the part of the student for an extension of time is not regarded as sufficient cause for granting an incomplete. Upon the granting of an incomplete, the student must complete the work within three weeks of the beginning of the next semester of the academic year or an F automatically will be recorded. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing by both the instructor and the Registrar.

WF or WP (withdrawal). Withdrawals from a course will be permitted up to the scheduled date (usually near the midterm date of the semester, or as stated on the course syllabus) with permission of the student's faculty instructor and advisors. A withdrawal grade of WF or WP is recorded when a student drops a course after the official drop/add period. WP signifies that at the time of the withdrawal the student was passing the course, while a WF signifies that at the time of the withdrawal the student was failing the course; WP and WF grades are not calculated into the GPA. Unofficial withdrawals from all courses are recorded as F. Withdrawals from class are considered unofficial if the student fails to make satisfactory arrangements at the office of the Registrar.

If students withdraw from all classes (withdrawal from the College), they must apply to the Student Academic Development Committee through the Registrar to be readmitted.