Dean of Students

See also:

See also:


On-Call / Emergency Procedures

General Information

Emergency Contacts
Monday - Friday (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) contact appropriate office directly.

Important Phone Numbers:


The Office of Public Safety 641-3163 (office) 
Police, Fire, Ambulance 911
The Office of Public Safety 641-3636 (emergency)  
Assistant Dean of Students  641-3151 or 641-3150
Dean of Students  641-3152 or 641-3150

After hours:
Residence Director (RD) 
Resident Assistant (RA)
Public Safety (641-3636)


The Dean on Duty will have the responsibility for notifying the following:

Parents -- except in cases of students admitted to the College Health & Wellness Center, in which case the college nurse or  J.C. Blair’s physician or physician’s assistant may inform parents when, in his or her opinion, the seriousness of the case justifies doing so.
Center for International Education  - where an international student is involved, the Dean on Duty will notify and involve the CIE Coordinator (or assistant) as needed.
Campus Chaplain -- in cases of accidents, illnesses, or other cases where his or her services may be of help.
The College Spokesperson -- who will release information to the press.
State or Local Police -- when requested by parents or otherwise appropriate.
Faculty Members -- the professors for that particular term and advisors will be notified of reason for student’s absence from class.

Student Records and Incident Reports:
All emergency incidents should be reported verbally to Public Safety and to the Dean of Students as soon as possible and then documented in a written report/referral form.  These written reports should be submitted the next regular working day to the Dean of Students.  All information regarding any incident is to be considered confidential.  Do not discuss this information with anyone except Public Safety and the Dean of Students, who will share the information only with those college officials who have a need to know.  Direct all questions from the media to the college spokesperson, Gabe Welsch, at 641-3131 and John Wall, at 641-3132.

Every attempt will be made to have the student notify parents/guardians regardless of age.  In cases where the student cannot or will not notify parents, the Dean of Students will notify the person(s) listed or emergency contact(s) in the event of hospitalization for attempts or threats of suicide or substance overdose.  It is important that the staff member working the emergency makes sure this is done and provides any follow-up on behalf of the college.

No information on students will be released to third parties without the approval of the Dean of Students (or in the absence of the Dean, the Assistant Dean) unless the release of information is necessary in order to protect the health and safety of the students or others and the Dean cannot be reached in time.  In the case of such an emergency, every effort should be made to contact the Dean for approval prior to the release.

Emergency Medical Procedures (in the event you cannot reach the Juniata College Health & Wellness Center or it is after regular office hours)

When the student’s physical health is in danger:

If the student is in need of immediate medical attention in order to protect his/her life, safety, or physical health, request an ambulance from Huntingdon Dispatch (police, fire, ambulance): 911.

If the student is not in need of immediate medical attention and/or you do not feel certain about what to do, call the Office of Public Safety.

Emergency Mental Health Procedures
Suicide threats/attempts/possible overdose where physical health is not in immediate danger:

In the event of a suicide threat, attempt, or possible overdose where psychological assistance is needed, stay with the student and contact Public Safety 641-3636.  The Dean of Students (or Assistant Dean) will utilize the county’s mental health delegate on duty by contacting J.C. Blair Hospital’s Mental Health/ Mental Retardation service at 643-2290 (after hours) or 643-6100 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.).

The delegate and Dean on Duty can consult to determine whether a petition for commitment seems warranted.  If such a petition is issued, the student will be evaluated by the delegate to determine whether hospitalization is required to protect the student.  Whether or not hospitalization occurs, when a petition is issued by the Dean or the student is sent to the emergency room, the Dean will notify parents/guardians and/or other emergency contacts.

Other resources that may be utilized in the event of after-hours mental health crisis situations:

If Hospital Care is Required
At the hospital, the Dean on Duty should:

--Collect the student’s belongings that should be returned to campus; store with the Office of Public Safety or with the RD.
--Check the student’s file to determine parental notification status.  If the student is a dependent, a
parent/guardian will be notified.
--Assist in relaying health insurance information.


You should contact all of the following people as soon as possible:

In mental health cases, any RD, RA or Faculty/Staff who become aware of a student’s discharge from the hospital and return to campus should notify the Dean on Duty.  The Dean on Duty can make contact with the psychiatric unit to find out the reason for the discharge and, if possible, to speak with the psychiatrist on call.

In all mental health cases, the Dean of Students must be notified that the student has been released.  Based on the information given, the Dean will determine who will be notified and determine what the course of action will be, if any.  Based on the information given to the Dean, a recommendation may be made for a medical leave.

Long-term Follow-up: Advise the student of his or her options for continuing assistance.

Keep in mind that it is up to the student to decide what course he/she wishes to pursue medically, emotionally, or legally:

On Campus -- Dean of Students
Assistant Dean
A Friend, RA, RD
The Office of Public Safety
Off Campus -- Mental Health Crisis Services after hours at 643-2290 (ask for delegate)
Mainstream Counseling at 643-1114 (drug/alcohol counseling)
J.C. Blair Memorial Hospital at 643-8880 (mental health counseling)
Huntingdon House at 643-2801 (domestic violence counseling, victim/witness program)
Huntingdon Information/Referral Line at 643-4202 (for more referral information in the area)

Serious Accident/Death

In the event of a serious accident or death of a student, immediately contact the Dean on Duty or a Public Safety Officer.  If neither of these people can be reached, the RD should be called.  The Dean of Students must be contacted.  The Dean of Students will notify the appropriate people.

Any or all of these individuals may be called to campus if necessary depending upon the situation.

Either the Dean or the Provost should notify family.

Please note that all questions from the press or outside groups should be directed to the college spokesperson, Gabe Welsch, at 641-3131 and John Wall, at 641-3132.  Individuals should not release information to third parties unless they have permission from college officials.

Sexual Assault and/or Rape

In the event of a sexual assault or rape, emergency staff can respond and help in a number of ways.  Sometimes the student calls one of the Student Affairs staff members directly.  Another student or community member may become aware of the incident and may consult with any Student Affairs staff member.

When public safety personnel become aware of an incident, they will try to ensure that the alleged assailant is no longer a threat to the victim or to others.  If the assistance of the police is necessary, the Director of the Office of Public Safety will be consulted.  The Director of the Office of Public Safety will notify the Dean of Students.

Be sure to inform the victim, or the person contacting any staff member, of the following (this is to ensure the medical and legal protection of the victim):

Medical care and protection:  If the victim decides to have a medical examination, make sure that the victim does not shower or change clothing.  The sooner the victim has a medical examination, the better because of possible injuries, possible pregnancy, and/or the necessity to begin treatment for a variety of communicable and/or venereal diseases.  The medical examination is also crucial to gather legal evidence.  Inform the victim that evidence cannot be gathered unless the police are notified and this will require an interview with a police investigator.

Legal protection:  If the victim decides to contact legal authorities, advise the victim not to disturb anything in the area where the incident occurred.  Make it clear to the victim that gathering evidence is crucial, but if he/she wishes to formally press charges, he/she will have time to make that decision.

Other Emergency Procedures and Referrals


MAINTENANCE EMERGENCY- (Not a routine maintenance problem)


      the Office of Public Safety orders it.


Revised October 2013