Create your personalized brochure

See also:

Employment Information

The Center for International Education at Juniata College has prepared the following information about employment requirements for students visiting the United States. Please send us an email message for help or to ask for more information.


Guidelines for Employment

When a student has student visa status (F-1 or J-1) to study in the United States, you must maintain your status at all times and to be eligible for employment.  All students must obtain a social security card to be employed and paid and must complete the necessary paperwork in the Office of Human Resources. 


Maintaining Status for F-1 and J-1 Visa Students

  • Keep a valid passport. 
  • Attend the where you are authorized to attend and maintain full-time academic status (minimum of 12 credits).
  • Refrain from off-campus employment without authorization and limit on-campus employment to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • Report any change in address to the Center for International within 10 days of the address change. You may email
  • Obtain signatures on immigration documents from the Center for International Education before traveling outside of the United States. You may need a new visa to re-enter the U.S. Please check with the Center for International Education. 
  • Apply for an extension on the I-20 or DS-2019 at least 30-45 days before the completion date. 
  • Keep all immigration documents in a secure place.  Keep all original copies of the I-20 and DS-2019. 
Maintaining Status Regulations for F-1 Students

“Undergraduate study at a college or university, certified by a school official to consist of at least twelve semester or quarter hours of instruction per academic term in those institutions using standard semester, trimester, or quarter hour systems, where all undergraduate students who are enrolled for a minimum of twelve semester or quarter hours are charged full-time tuition or are considered full-time for other administrative purposes, or its equivalent (as determined by the district director in the school approval process), except when the student needs a lesser course load to complete the course of study during the current term…” [8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(i)(B)].


“Current name and address. A student must inform the DSO and the Service of any legal changes to his or her name or of any change of address, within 10 days of the change, in a manner prescribed by the school. A student enrolled at a SEVIS school can satisfy the requirement in 8 CFR 256.1 of notifying the Service by providing a notice of a change of address within 10 days to the DSO, who in turn shall enter the information in SEVIS within 21 days of notification by the student” [8 CFR 214.2(f)(17)].



On-Campus Employment

F-1 Students

On-campus employment is permitted as long as the student is registered as a full-time student and the following is provided: